Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mammogram, Tantrum, and 1 Peter

Today I had my annual mammogram--this one was digital. I must say it was the MOST comfortable one I've ever had. It was a very pleasant surprise! So then I went to work feeling pretty good about the whole thing. But then I found out I had a major problem with some paperwork which is going to make me go back and recalculate several days of records. A couple of other things were not going so well, and before long I was fully annoyed.
About that time, I flipped my daily calendar to find this verse "Let your adornment be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God." 1 Peter 3:4 Talk about squelching a perfectly good workup to a tantrum....don't you hate/love it when He does that?

Thought for the day

How does God know what I need to hear? How does He pull it out of thin air? How did He know that (at least) one year on January 19 I would be on the verge of losing my temper and need to be reminded of what He sees as precious? The same thing happens so often with daily devotionals...the perfect word on the perfect day. Or I'm reading along in different sections of the Bible on a given day and He pulls the same message from several different passages in entirely different parts of the Word. Sometimes it's a word of encouragement or comfort. Other times, like today, it's a kick in the pants...one that I really needed.

No comments: