Monday, November 17, 2008

Guarding the Mind

Yesterday we went to church. Late in the morning Tabbi and the boys came over for a while...she got groceries while the boys played here. I think everyone had a good time, I know we did. My mom called a little later and needed some help, so we both went over there. I stayed with her for an hour or so while Jon came back home to finish mowing leaves. The evening was quiet, which was perfect.

Today we were back at work. Jon is still grinding dyes right now after getting a late start at it tonight. I'm trying to get some odds and ends done around here and even did a little reading. Not feeling very productive, I guess. I'm think I'm going to have to start being more selective about what I watch on TV. Many of the shows we've come to like are "cop" shows, mostly because we like the investigative ins and outs...NCIS, the CSI's, Criminal Minds, Cold Case, Without a Trace, Numbers... Some of that is fine, but too much can be too much. In the process of "crime solving" too many times they show the crime over and over, and the people do such horrible things to each other. Sometimes even the news is tough to listen to. I may need to pick and choose more. They used to run "Everybody Loves Raymond" over the supper hour every weeknight...I think I miss that daily dose of laughter.

Thought for the day

How much are we influenced by the random, haphazard, "innocent" things that cross our paths and enter our minds? How do we set up a guard over our hearts and minds without becoming paranoid, flaky, superstitious, unable to function in a world that bombards us with constant media of one form or another? Yes, I can turn off the TV...and that would be a good start. But there are deliberate choices to make. "Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, ...right, ...pure, ...lovely, ...of good repute, ...excellence, ...praise." Philippians 4:8 "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." Psalm 19:14

No comments: