Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fall is Coming

I got to go for a walk this evening. Fall is my favorite time of year and though it's a little early for fall here, I'm beginning to see the signs. Just a few leaves here and there are beginning to turn; there is a crispness in the air these last few days. It will warm up again, but I'm glad to see fall coming. One of my favorite things is to hear the crunch of leaves under my feet when I walk--that will come soon. I understand walking with a walkman or ipod, and I've done that before, but more and more I just enjoy hearing the sounds outside--the birds singing, the squirrels chattering, the dogs barking. Tonight I think I heard the local marching band practicing in the distance. Peace and quiet just ministers to my heart--I'm probably just getting old!!

Thought for the day
Through Christ, God brings us into fellowship with Himself to be partners in what He is doing. Some of what He purposes to do is described in Isaiah 61---bring good news to the afflicted, bind up the broken-hearted, proclaim liberty to captives, and freedom to prisoners, to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, to grant them a garland instead of ashes, the oil of gladness, instead of mourning, the mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting. As result they (we) will be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified. More about trees another time.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I remember the sounds of the marching band practicing. . . . and football games Friday night! I do miss that sound!

Luann said...

I know...quite often you can hear them in the morning, but I don't remember hearing them at night. I don't know if they were having an extra practice or what. Can't tell you the last time we went to a game, but we can hear some of the music and such from our house on the right night.