Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Perspective

My hooray for the day is our oldest granddaughter turns 8 years old today!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BRIA!!!
When I'm at home and in my element my perspective on things is positive. But I find that when I'm put under pressure I can quickly lose sight of all that seemed so clear at a better time. Is it just me, or do you do the same? How can we keep hold of the TRUTH in the midst of the daily stuff that requires most of our time and attention?

Thought for the day
One of my favorite books is "The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life" by Hannah Whitall Smith. It is a must read. The context is about laying our burdens on the Lord. "When I speak of burdens, I mean everything that troubles us, whether spiritual or temporal. I mean, first of all, ourselves. The greatest burden we have to carry in life is self; the most difficult thing we have to manage is self. Our own daily living, our frames and feelings, our special weaknesses and temptations, our peculiar temperaments, our inward affairs of every kind--these are the things that perplex and worry us more than anything else and that bring us most frequently into bondage and darkness. In laying off your burdens, therefore, the first one you must get rid of is yourself. You must hand yourself, with your temptations, your temperament, your frames and feelings, and all your inward and outward experiences, over into the care and keeping of your God and leave it all there.
He made you and, therefore, He understands you and knows how to manage you; you must trust Him to do it."
I guess that puts things in perspective.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh I love that book! Everyone should read it, soak in it, dwell on it...its awesome and so are you!

Luann said...

It's been too long since we were going through it together and I have really needed to read it again. Finally got it out yesterday and, of course, it was very helpful. You have a great day!!!